Live.Love.Music

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Feelin' Better.


Feeling a lot better, as of yesterday. And I wasn't sure if it was going to last, but I think I'm in a good place again. I called an ex at an ungodly hour and we talked about a lot of things that were bothering me, and it was good. For a few reasons. One - I wasn't sure if we had really ended on a good note (well...to be honest, we hadn't, I don't even think he understands the real effects of our relationship), but our conversation showed me that we were good. Actually, we're more than good - we're going to be great friends. He reminded me of the beautiful things about me that I was choosing to ignore in my debbie downer state. He gave me some good advice, I returned the favor and there was a lot of laughing and catching up. I went to bed still feeling a little down, but I woke up Wednesday morning and decided to be happy. So I was. And I'm going to stay happy for as long as I choose to (which will be through the end of final exams).

Speaking of finals - ugh. I'm SO CLOSE to my goal. 2 papers, 1 oral and 2 exams away to be exact. I'm on the line for most of my classes, and those lines are going to determine whether or not I make the Dean's list. It's the homestretch, and all I want to do is watch Law & Order SVU - but I have to MAKE myself be productive. Even tonight. Even if that means taking a nap after this post and waking up at 4am to work on this paper in order to stay on the schedule I have mapped out for myself.

Of course, music has played an integral part in this turn-around. R&B is great, and I love it, but its not always the best catalyst to get out of a funky mood. It CAN be great for promoting a pity party - but I wasn't really trying to do that. So who did I turn to, you ask? K'NAAN!

K'NAAN (which means traveler) is a Somalian rapper, musician, singer, poet who I am quickly falling in LOVE with. He is just so fresh, crisp, his messages are clear and most importantly, he is a strong voice for his country - and the continent at large. AND, he is the artist responsible for the FIFA World Cup 2010 Official Anthem, "Wavin' Flag." The jawn is hot so you already know I'm with it ;-) Youtube him, and check out the Anthem, Somalia and Take A Minute, just to start with. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

I love being happy again. And motivated. There's much to be done and not so much room for feeling weighed down.

No comments:

Post a Comment