Live.Love.Music

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

R.I.P Soror Height

This weekend was an amazing one for me, for reasons I will mention in another post. However, in this post I would like to honor the life of a true T R A I L B L A Z E R. A hero in her own right, a legend and a mover & shaker, my Soror Dr. Dorothy Irene Height. She is known for so many things - all of them centered by her work in the Civil Rights Movement and thereafter. She worked TIRELESSLY from a VERY young age to fight issues ranging from lynchings to education to equal rights and woman's rights. She experience racism throughout her lifetime. One incident she frequently talked about was her acceptance, but not admittance, to Barnard College. At that time, Barnard had a cap of 2 Negro students per year, and they had already filled their two spots. Even still, she pursued Delta and became a member of the MIGHTY RHO CHAPTER (my chapter) in the 1950s. She served as chapter president and went on to serve as the National President for Delta Sigma Theta, holding the longest tenure to date. Under her tenure, Delta moved in long strides, making effective progress in civil rights and uplifting in the Black community. She served as President Emeritus of the National Council of Negro Women for over 20 years and was awarded the highest civilian award in the US by President Clinton during his term. She was a mentor to many, including Dr. Martin Luther King, and touched more lives than just the people she met. Her list of accolades goes on and on, but I just want to touch on her LIVELINESS. In her final years of life, she was confined to a wheelchair. I've had the honor of seeing her speak on two different occasions, and believe me when I say that she is one of most energetic and articulate women I have ever known. She always picked her own outfits (known for her huge Easter hats) and was always dressed to a T, perfect make-up, million dollar smile on her face. She spoke with confidence and had a near-perfect memory. She told us stories of conversations she has had with past Delta presidents and even our illustrious founders. She was a gem to my Sorority, and indeed to the world. My only hope is that the many people, but especially the women, who were touched by her work continue to let her legacy, and her HARD WORK, live on through them. Soror Height did a lot - she fought the good fight - but there is still work to be done. I will not let her memory die, and I challenge others to do the same. She is only one of many civil rights leaders that we are slowly but surely losing, as their time in this world comes to an end. It would be MOST unfortunate if all of their self-sacrifice disappeared like a whisper in the wind. I was sad when I heard the news of my soror's passing, but soon realized that I have nothing to be sad about. She died at the tender age of 98, she lived a healthy and prosperous life. She came into this world to do work and accomplished much. I can only hope that one day I will be able to do half the work that she did, and that all of us will make her, and all of our civil rights leaders, proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment